Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 4 : Kartika Sari

I read that Kartika Sari sold the best Pisang Bolen or Pisang Molen in Bandung. It's the essentially banana wrapped in pastry. When we drove by, I noticed that there was a Kartika Sari outlet near the hotel, and made a mental note of its location. I was going to get my hands on Pisang Bolen by hook or by crook.

After dinner at Kedai Belacan that evening, we were dropped off at our hotel ... and my friend and I walked to the shop. It was easy. Exit Arion Swissbel and turn right .... walk along the road and turn left, and there was Kartika Sari.

The shop was almost closing already, the shelves were near empty already .... and I did not see what I wanted. I was disappointed. But since I had made it there, I decided to buy something anyway.

From the glass display case near the cashier's, I picked out a layered cake - Lapis Legit Tikar, a popular Indonesian delicacy. It cost IDR160,000, which was near RM45.00. Not cheap at all. But I decided to buy it after I was informed that it did not need to be refrigerated for a week. In the fridge, it could keep for about 6 weeks.

As I was about to pay, the cashier brought out a box and asked if I wanted to buy it.

It's famous here, she told me politely.

What is it? I asked and indeed, it was Pisang Bolen. Yay! I was excited, and of course, I immediately bought one box as well. It was only IDR37,000, about RM10.00. I was happy again.

 Yay! My purchases that evening, and I could pay by credit card. 

10 pieces in a box
These could be kept unrefrigerated for up to 4 days. 

Back at the hotel, I packed my goodies into my backpack to bring back home .... 

 Lapis Legit Tikar
The cake was very delicious, moist, not too sweet, and with a hint of spice, and of course, it was beautifully layered. I loved it.  

Pisang Bolen
The texture of the pastry was not as nice already .... note the chunk of cheese in the amidst the banana filling. Also available was a chocolate banana version. I think this would be yum if eaten fresh. 

But of course, I was happy to have bought what I set out to look for. :))

1 comment:

  1. Pre Order Bagelen atau Brownies Kartika Sari dan Amanda fresh from Bandung
    Whatsapp ina 0192633431

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...